The Badami cave temples are a complex of temples located at Badami, a town in the Bagalkot District in the north part of Karnataka, India.The Badami cave temples are composed of four caves, all carved out of the soft Badami sandstone on a hill cliff in the late 6th to 7th centuries.
The Badami cave temples are composed of four caves, all carved out of the soft Badami sandstone on a hill cliff in the late 6th to 7th centuries.The planning of four caves is simple. The entrance is a verandah (mukha mandapa) with stone columns and brackets, a distinctive feature of these caves, leading to a columned mandapa – main hall (also maha mandapa) and then to the small square shrine (sanctum sanctorum, garbhaghrha) cut deep into the cave. The temple caves represent different religious sects. Among them, two (cave 2 and 3) are dedicated to god Vishnu, one to god Shiva (cave 1) and the fourth (cave 4) is a Jain temple. The first three are devoted to the Vedic faith and the fourth cave is the only Jain temple at Badami.
The cave temples date back to 600 and 700 CE. Their architecture is a blend of North Indian Nagara Style and South Indian Dravidian style. As described above each cave has a sanctum sanctorum, a mandapa, a verandah and pillars. The cave temples also bear exquisite carvings, sculptures and beautiful murals. Important part of historical heritage at Badami cave temples are inscriptions in old Kannada script.
• A Buddhist cave in a natural setting that can be entered only by crawling on knees.
• The Bhutanatha temple, a small shrine, facing the lake, constructed in 5th century.
• Badami Fort situated on top of the hill.
• Many Shivalayas including the Malegitti Shivalaya with 7th century origins.
• The Dattatreya temple.
• The Mallikarjuna temple dating back to the 11th century, built on a star shaped plan.
• A Dargah, a dome of an Islamic place of worship on the south fort side.
• Vista points on top of the North Fort for the view of the ancient town below.
• Temple of Banashankari, a Kuladevata (family deity) for many families, is located near Badami.
• Nearest Airport: Belgaum, 190 Km
• Nearest Railway station: Hubli, 100 Km